- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Web/Graphic Design/Internet
- Industry: Fintech
- Post Date: 06/10/2021
- Website: monzo.com
- Company Address: 12 Epworth Street, EC2A 4DL, London, UK
About MonzoAt Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone and built for the way you live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe we can make banking better.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to lead the design of our operational systems and internal tooling, improving support for our 4million+ customers. Our customer base has grown significantly over the last two years. Our internal tools have evolved to support this, but now we're at the scale where we need a holistic approach to take our tooling to the next level.
The remit of this role and potential for business impact is huge. This is a unique opportunity to not only work on a wide range of tools, but to lead the approach in defining how all of our systems connect behind the scenes, ensuring our customers—and customer support staff—have the best possible experience. This role would suit candidates with a systems design, service design or information architecture background, with experience facilitating workshops and wrangling complexity.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What you’ll do everyday
- You’ll lead design for a product area. This includes driving the future vision of this area, making sure it compliments a cohesive overall Monzo experience, and delivering on incremental steps to help the team head in this direction.
- You’ll be embedded in a cross-functional product squad. You’ll be responsible for all design artefacts produced; from initial discovery and user journey mapping through to the execution of final UI design details.
- You’ll deeply understand the customers you’re designing for. Whether it’s joining user research sessions, learning from previous insights, reading data reports or running your own lightweight research and analysis, you’ll strive to understand the what, why and how of the problems you’re solving for to ensure we don’t just ship the thing right, but we ship the right thing.
- You’ll collaborate using strong communication, written documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with PMs, Engineers, Data scientists, User researchers and Writers to make sure your team isn’t just shipping great designs, but they are deeply involved throughout the design process.
- You’ll execute (and advocate for) polished, intuitive and accessible user experiences. You’re pragmatic and able to balance the ideal experience with knowing where and when to make scoping trade-offs based on technical constraints, experimentation strategy or business risk.
- You’ll help raise the bar for design at Monzo. We’re a small but mighty team where every designer plays a critical role in improving our community of practice—whether that’s through improving our craft skills to leading rituals to giving great feedback.
- You’ll regularly work with a design director and product leadership. This is to help make sure long-term strategy, business goals and experience quality are all in alignment and that there are healthy opportunities for visibility and feedback.
You should apply if
- You’ve led the design of world-class product launches in a fast-growing company before.
- You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. You make well-reasoned design decisions always advocating for the best possible user experience.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all our users in mind.
- You care about the UI design details but are also comfortable zooming out, seeing the broader picture and connecting the dots to create a cohesive overall experience.
- You’re passionate about sharing your knowledge, and raising the bar for design practice at Monzo. Previous experience mentoring designers is a big plus.
- You understand that writing is designing, and the words in your interfaces are always purposeful and clear.
- You thrive bringing a systems-oriented, human-centred approach to distilling complex problems into simple solutions, which you’re then able to communicate clearly and concisely through visual or written communication.
- You have a portfolio (or case studies) showing deep expertise designing for tools and the unique challenges they represent.
- You’re comfortable running workshops or leading remote collaboration sessions with cross-functional groups.
This isn’t for you if
- You want to focus on people management. While mentoring other designers and leveling up the team is an expectation at this level, the initial scope of the role will focus on being an individual contributor. Things change quickly at Monzo though so there could be future people management opportunities if you’re interested in this path.
- You don’t want to design UI. Every product designer at Monzo is expected to work on everything across the full design stack. While that will be less of a focus in this role, it is still a requirement.
- You need top-down direction. We operate extremely autonomously so you’ll be expected to determine the highest impact areas to work on, collaborating with your product squad and manager to ensure there’s alignment here.