- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Web/Graphic Design/Internet
- Industry: Fintech
- Post Date: 06/10/2021
- Website: monzo.com
- Company Address: 12 Epworth Street, EC2A 4DL, London, UK
About MonzoAt Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone and built for the way you live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe we can make banking better.
We’re looking for Senior User Researchers to help us improve the experience for our 5 million+ personal and business customers.
We want to make money work for everyone. Research insights are essential in helping us understand how we can support our customers in their everyday lives. In this role, you’ll help define the challenges we should help customers with next, and work with multidisciplinary teams to make that happen.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What you’ll do everyday
- You’ll lead research for a product area. You’ll identify the big questions, knowledge gaps or high-risk assumptions we're making and you’ll scope and deliver the research to solve that.
- You’ll help shape the vision for your area. You'll work closely with design and product leadership in your area to shape the vision and help build product roadmaps that will get us there.
- You’ll be an advocate for our customers. You'll make sure that we’re solving genuine problems for people.
- You’ll collaborate using strong communication, written documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with Product Designers, PMs, Engineers, Data Scientists, Business Analysts, Product Marketers and Writers to make sure your research supports and shapes everyone’s work.
- You’ll have a business mindset. You’ll drive strategic decision-making and be vital in helping us build a sustainable user-centred business.
- You’ll support multiple product squads across the business as a research expert. You’ll identify where you can be most impactful and when to delegate or let things go.
- You'll train others in doing their own lightweight disposable low-risk evaluative research. Educating peers in design and research methods is a ongoing part of this role.
- You’ll help raise the bar for research at Monzo. We’re a small team and every researcher shapes our community of practice. As a seasoned researcher, you'll scale your influence through developing others, mentorship, coaching or educating others.
You should apply if
- You’re passionate about building a world-class product and service that makes money work for everyone. You’ve made a demonstrable impact on the direction of the product or service in the past.
- You’re only satisfied when you know your research has helped the company make better decisions. You've led research before in a multidisciplinary team and you're able to contextualise and prioritise insights for a team.
- You love sharing your insights, presenting your work and writing compelling research summaries. You're collaborative and comfortable setting up research so your team can get involved. You can effectively share insights with different groups of stakeholders, from product teams to senior leadership. You document timeless insight clearly and thoroughly.
- You have significant hands-on experience across the entire toolkit of exploratory and evaluative qualitative research methods. You know how to choose the method that best answers your question.
- You can run usability testing with your eyes shut across mobile and desktop. You don’t always default to usability testing, but you love testing products with people when it makes sense to do so.
- You care about building accessible products and know how to deliver research that supports this.
- You don't run research for the sake of it. You’re able to balance robust study design with the practicalities of a fast-moving company. You can see when research isn’t needed.
- You know how to connect different sources of insight to provide a fuller picture of the truth. You don't need to be able to run your own data analysis, but you'll know how to use data to build powerful insights.
- You’re proactive, adaptable and resilient with a positive mindset. When you see a way to improve something, you take action to make that happen.
This isn’t for you if
- You want to focus on people management. You’ll act as a mentor for others, but the initial scope of the role is as an Individual Contributor, and doesn’t include managing people.
- This is your first research job. We’re a small team and a fast-paced company, so we need someone to hit the ground running.
- You prefer working on neat problems with few complexities and edge cases.
- You like lots of top-down direction. It’ll largely be up to you to decide which challenges to tackle, and how to tackle them. You'll collaborate with leadership in your area and your product squads, but the final decisions sit with you.
- You want to pass research findings over to someone else once you’ve written your report. We’re looking for researchers who are tenacious about making sure their research results in impact.
- Initial call with a User Researcher (30 min)
- Call with a Monzo Recruiter (30 min)
- Take-home task
- Virtual "on-site" (3 hours)
We want to give people applying for roles at Monzo the best opportunity to succeed and we design our process to do that. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
We’re currently hiring for User Researchers, Senior User Researchers and a Principal Researcher. Don’t worry if you’re not sure which level of seniority best fits your experience. We want to find brilliant people. We’ll work with you to find the right the right Monzo level for you if you’re invited to interview.
These roles will initially be entirely remote while the office is closed due to the pandemic. Once the office opens up again, we'd like you to be able to be part of working in a team environment at least 2 days a week.