- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Data Science
- Industry: Fintech
- Post Date: 06/10/2021
- Website: monzo.com
- Company Address: 12 Epworth Street, EC2A 4DL, London, UK
About MonzoAt Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone and built for the way you live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe we can make banking better.
We are looking for a Senior Finance Data Analyst to join and help scale our growing Internal Finance Systems team. You’ll be at the intersection between finance and data — diving deep into financial analytics and supporting decision making with our Financial Reporting and Financial Planning & Analysis teams. You will support process improvement by building and analysing data models (mostly in SQL) downstream of engineering interfaces and accounting systems.
You’ll help us with the following questions and challenges:
- how can we build a robust data framework between our internal banking platform and financial ledger that supports all our reporting and analysis needs?
- how are our customers and products performing financially; how can we use this information to better understand our customers and drive optimal business decisions?
- how do product rollouts and customer behaviours impact our liquidity and capital position as a bank?
- what are the high impact automation tools that can be built for the Finance team so we minimise time spent and improve controls over recurring processes?
Data at Monzo
Our Data team's mission is to
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place in BigQuery, our data warehouse. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists and analysts the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
You’ll be working day-to-day within a multi-disciplinary team within our Internal Finance Systems squad (including engineers and a finance product owner) but also working closely with accountants and analysts in Financial Reporting and FP&A.
You’ll be responsible for:
- working with engineering to maintain and improve our accounting data pipeline,
- building data models, reports and visualisations to enable us to better track our cost base and manage overheads,
- working with product teams to better understand and monitor capital and liquidity considerations,
- working with data from our accounting system to automate calculations over our capital and liquidity metrics,
- exploring and analysing customer profitability and trends
You will be responsible for digging deep into the data, understanding the financial and accounting implications of our products, proposing solutions to identified problems and finally measuring the outcomes of implemented solutions.
You’ll also work closely with engineers across the company to ensure that we are collecting all the necessary data that we will need for accurate and compliant reporting.
Finally, you will assist in introducing and monitoring company-wide KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) and KRI's (Key Risk Indicators) which will measure how the bank is performing and alert us if something goes off track.
You should apply if
- you have experience building robust datasets (in SQL) and using them for analysis to support financial reporting and/or commercial decision making
- you have strong grounding in SQL and are familiar with BigQuery and/or general data warehousing concepts
- you are happiest exploring data, making discoveries and understanding their implications
- have previously worked in an analytics/finance environment - for example in a tech start-up, management consulting or investment banking
Nice to haves
- you've acquired a certification or part-qualified in the relevant area such as ACA or CFA
- familiarity with a programming language such as Python and/or Go
- previous experience in banking or financial services
This role will be remote until we'll be able to fully open our London office again.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
The application process consists of a 30 mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a technical take home task and 2 on-site interviews at our office in London or remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
We are an equal opportunity employer
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.